Gracias por visitarnos. Recuerda que eres responsable de tus aportaciones. Se respetuoso.

Imagen

Anglo/Hispanic Language Encounters

Welcome to Sierra de Yeguas
HENRY VIII
Miembro nuevo
Miembro nuevo

Anglo/Hispanic Language Encounters

Mensaje sin leer por HENRY VIII » 02 Feb 2010, 11:13

I have read the article ¨Cafe en dos Idiomas¨ published in Diario Sur, covering the Anglo/Hispanic language encounters in SdY, aimed at improving language skills and stimulate integration.
If I remember well, this useful and interesting initiative was originally proposed by 2 members of the Foreign Community (both experienced English teachers) together with Jose Derick of the Guadalinfo Center, and backed by our Townhall.
I would like to make a few observations :

1 - From info gathered, it seems that there have never been 30 participants in any meeting, let alone in all of the meetings.

2 - A Facebook page to improve/correct orthography and grammar is most certainly a good idea, but - in my humble opinion - it would be highly preferable if it was managed by either a teacher or a linguist and not by somebody who does not dominate the Spanish language at all, neither spoken or written (Google and Babylon do not count). Getting by when ordering a drink or going shopping does not give anybody the qualifications to correct others. When correcting any language, it is preferable to differentiate an adverb from an adjective or a relative pronoun from a conjuntion or a preposition and thorough knowledge of the verb tenses is an absolute necessity.

3 - To initiate young children to foreign languages from a very young age is a widely accepted and recognized educational fact - nothing new here - and the library would be an ideal environment.
However - what is by no means new - is the fact that this was proposed months ago by another member of the Foreign community, discussed amongst parties concerned (Library, Guadalinfo and even some parents) and is now at a stage of being submitted to the Parent´s Association.
One can only say that, in all aspects of life - private or business - plagiarism will always come second in line !

To those who will invoke that yours truly does not attend these encounters, please note that my integration in SdY started on the first day I arrived here and took about 2 weeks to complete ! And YES, my Spanish is far from adequate, which is why I wouldn´t dare to correct others !

An interested bystander

Re: Anglo/Hispanic Language Encounters

Mensaje sin leer por An interested bystander » 04 Feb 2010, 10:49

I would like to comment on the previous post. Although I am not (yet) involved in the language encounters, I think they are an excellent opportunity to improve both spoken and written language skills. I fully agree however, that correcting others cannot be done without having the adequate linguistic knowledge. I, for one, would not accept being corrected by somebody who is not qualified ! People who try to be more catholic than the Pope often create conflicts and frictions !
My wife and I were thinking of joining but after hearing comments and criticism about this correcting business, we are having second thoughts.

JHB
Novato
Novato

Mensaje sin leer por JHB » 04 Feb 2010, 18:12

An interested bystander escribió:I would like to comment on the previous post. Although I am not (yet) involved in the language encounters, I think they are an excellent opportunity to improve both spoken and written language skills. I fully agree however, that correcting others cannot be done without having the adequate linguistic knowledge. I, for one, would not accept being corrected by somebody who is not qualified ! People who try to be more catholic than the Pope often create conflicts and frictions !
My wife and I were thinking of joining but after hearing comments and criticism about this correcting business, we are having second thoughts.

There appear to be a few misconceptions of the purpose of the weekly language exchange meetings. They are not classes, and they are not led by any one person. It is a group of people who meet once a week to practise conversing in the languages that they are learning, in order to strengthen their vocabulary and to perfect their pronunciation.

Grammar is something that we all learnt in school, but there are not many of us that want to sit and discuss it over a coffee. Orthography or spelling, as most people know it, is not a required element of the spoken language but as most people bring a dictionary we can look up the correct spelling should we feel the need.

The group is made up of a wide range of people between the ages of 16 and 80, with varying levels of attainment in the language that they wish to learn. Some of the Spanish that attend have a very high standard of English and are invaluable in making the group work. Since we started my vocabulary has increased ten fold so I would highly recommend it to anyone.

I am not a `self styled’ teacher and would thoroughly agree that only people that hold a qualification should teach others. There are more ‘cowboys’ in the TEFL industry than there are in the Building trade.

I set up the Facebook Group so that we could write things on the wall, in our chosen language, without fear of the ridicule that often follows when you make a mistake. The postings do not appear on your own profile and if you do make a mistake one of the other members will simply write a correction. This way we can learn by our mistakes and broaden our knowledge of the written language.

You should give it a try and not be put off by people who, by their own admission, have never attended. I cannot guarantee that you will like it, all I can say I enjoy the time that I spend laughing with my new friends.

Un asistente a las reuniones

Mensaje sin leer por Un asistente a las reuniones » 06 Feb 2010, 20:12

Soy una de las personas que asisten a las reuniones de intercambio lingüistico.

Durante toda mi vida he estudiado inglés, en el colegio, en el instituto y nunca he sabido hablarlo, solo leerlo. No necesito aprender más gramática lo que necesito es hablar y escuchar, y estas reuniones son una gran oportunidad para hacerlo. Desde aquí animo a la gente para que se una a esta interesante experiencia.

During all my life I've been studying English, in the school, in the highschool and I've never been able to speak, only reading. I don't need to learn more grammar, what I need to do is speaking and listening, and these meetings are a great oportunity to do it. From this forum I encourage people to join us in this interesting experience.

Sorry for the mistakes

partidaria de los encuentros

Mensaje sin leer por partidaria de los encuentros » 12 Feb 2010, 10:15

Hola a todos!Asisto esporádicamente a este encuentro con las mismas ganas que si fuese todos los sábados.Yo tengo que hablar positivamente de ellos porque las veces que he ido he salido con la sensación de haber aprovechado el tiempo y haber compartido un agradable rato con los asistentes a dicho encuentro.Creo que no necesitas ser un profesional para compartir un rato de intercambio de idioma con otras personas,porque si fuese así estarías asistiendo a clases de idioma y de esas llevo ya unas pocas en el cuerpo.Lo que quiero decir es que a muchos de nosotros,los españoles,creo que lo que nos ocurre es que tenemos mucha teoría de inglés pero luego a la hora de desenvolvernos a pie de calle nos cuesta porque carecemos de esa fluidez de lenguaje y vocabulario que sólo te dá el hablar con un nativo un día tras otro.Además a éstos encuentros acuden personas con un mismo fín,gente muy cordial,con muchas ganas de aprender y ayudar,que en mi humilde opinión,es lo más enriquecedor de todo.Un saludo a todos/as y animo a que asistais y lo comprobeis por vosotros mismos.

Responder